I’m blessed with friends, new and old…not to be confused with young and old…none of them are (really) old - LOL. My 2 new friends at the Chelsea spot took me out for a memorable dinner on my birthday to Regional Thai on 7th Ave in Chelsea. The appetizer plate was so pretty we took a picture.
We’re all just getting to know each other so we had a great time in the rooms easy atmosphere talking and laughing. We didn’t linger long because we had to be at the movie by 10:15pm. I had a great time. Thanks guys!
.
Then Monday night another good friend treated me to Tao…an amazing restaurant in Midtown. Our menu featured yellow fin jalapeno sushimi, uni, an assortment of maki rolls, bamboo steamed vegetable dumplings, pad Thai, and Chilean sea bass. A virtual sea of visually stunning fare that still has my mouth thinking we were in heaven. Actually Tao is in a reclaimed building that once housed a stable (according to our waiter Adrianno). Now it boasts a 30 foot Buddha and some very famous clientele…at least that’s what their web site says.
.
So unlike the flash and high profile address of Tao, this modest little gem requires a little searching out. And it’s worth it. The hard wood floors buckle slightly under your feet when you enter giving you a true old city, home spun feel that’s matched by the simple decor and only slightly friendly staff. We talked for almost an hour before we even looked at a menu - it’s just that kind of place. Then we settled on grilled calamari with mixed greens (bellisimo), carpacio with arugula (now you know that was for Dennis - I haven’t taken to eating meat here), homemade spinach gnocchi with tomato basil sauce (O…M…G!), risotto with mussels and forks flying all over the table…good friends share.
.
For dessert we shared creme carmillata. I thought I wanted the whole thing to myself but promised to share just one bite. Thankfully, Dennis uncharacteristically followed with a second, third,…tenth bite of dessert and then (in his words) unchivalrously took the last bite. I didn’t object. If I did I would have stabbed him with a fork. :-D It was too delicious and rich to eat alone. And of course…friends share.
.
One alley actually had a locked rod iron gate which turned it into a private lane and made the apartments worth an even bigger fortune than the rest in the area. Only in New York.
.
Interestingly, it’s built over a burial ground that was originally a potters field and was then expanded to bury the remain of 20,000 yellow fever victims in the 1800’s (hmmmm). I’m told that in the summer time the park is a buzz with frisbee throwers, baby strollers, skate boarders and anyone in the area looking to connect with their community. And its often been the gathering spot for folk singers, political rallies or even a protest or two. Tonight it was relatively quiet - peaceful really - a nice resting place for 2 friends out for a walk. I’ll have to come back in a few months and check it out for myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Do you have something to add?